We have a team of 10 experienced and accredited family mediators working at the Bureau. They are from a variety of professional backgrounds.
SELFMB is currently offering a structured, time-limited (10 hours) placement for newly trained family mediators wishing to progress in their new profession.
The Bureau is one of the oldest family mediation centres in the UK and has been a pioneering service since its inception in 1979. (See www.selfmb/History). It is now firmly established as a centre of excellence in family mediation, serving London and the south-east.
We are a child focussed practice with a fast growing case load in property and finance cases, either as AIM (all issues mediation) or separately. The Bureau holds a franchise with the Legal Aid Agency (LAA). About 80% of our income is privately funded.
Family mediator practice / apprentice placement scheme
SELFMB offers a clearly defined, post mediation training placement, based on a fixed 10 hour mediation package.
Please note that the latest (2017) requirement from the FMC is for a minimum of one hour’s co-working experience. The SELFMB placement programme comfortably exceeds this and restores the requirement to its previous level, which we believe is more appropriate, practical and beneficial to both practitioners and service users.
The placement comprises the following:
- Access to the Bureau’s 10 FMCA accredited mediators (See Mediator profiles in www.selfmb/team).
- Observe and co-work 10 hours of mediation with a selection of accredited and experienced family mediators from different professional backgrounds.
- All of the SELFMB family mediators are trained in and practice the ‘Bromley model’ of mediation, which includes spending separate time with each party at every session.
- Hold a briefing before and a debrief following each session with the co-mediator
- Observe or co-work MIAM sessions, with the option of carrying out eligibility assessments for legal aid applications
- An option to undertake other mediation-related activities (subject to availability) to broaden experience or understanding of family mediation, including: market research, helping with admin duties, dealing with phone enquiries, referral analysis; follow up calls with clients (where appropriate).
- The fee for this service is £60 + VAT, per mediation hour.
- This fee covers admin time and mediator time, including payment of a 15 minute debrief session with the accredited mediator at the end of the mediation.
- The placement is only available as a fixed 10 mediation hour package.
- This placement package is a time limited arrangement with the trainee. There is no obligation on either the service or the trainee to continue the professional relationship after the placement has ended.
- Cancellations – unfortunately mediations appointments are cancelled, sometimes with minimal notice, from time to time and we would ask our trainee mediators to show patience in these circumstances.
- Applications can be made to the Service Manager, with CV, name of PPC and current certificate of professional indemnity cover.
For further information, please contact Andrew Sims (Service Manager) or Stella Hemphill (Office Manager) on 0208 315 7460.